CRT stands for corneal refractive therapy (also known as Orthokeratology). These rigid, custom-fitted, gentle vision shaping contact lenses are worn while your child sleeps to temporarily reshape the cornea to improve vision during the day. Your child will be able to see clearly for the duration of the waking hours without the need for eyeglasses or contact lenses! This method has been proven to be the most effective way to slow down myopia progression and works best with children whose vision correction is about -4.00D or less. In fact, it is now FDA-approved for the treatment of myopia up to -6.00D.
Ortho-K lenses have two objectives:
- Restore clear vision for the duration of the waking hours such that the child can be free from glasses and daytime contact lenses
– Achieved by: reshaping the eye surface where the central area of the cornea is flattened
- Slow, and sometimes halt, the progression of myopia
– Achieved by: mid-peripheral area steepening
- These independent focusing of central and mid-peripheral vision is an effect that regular glasses or contact lenses cannot achieve, which is the reason why Ortho-K is effective in reducing the progression of myopia.
We now have new lenses available that can help children with higher amounts of myopia (over -4.00D) and astigmatism (over 1.00D). A landmark study by the NIH (national institute of health) has shown the clinical effectiveness and safety of orthokeratology lenses over a 12 year period.
Our Doctors have completed the training and certification to fit the following ortho-K lenses: